This four-week online professional development certificate course will explore how new communication and mapping technologies are being used to respond to disasters, create early warning mechanisms, improve relief coordination efforts and much more. From the ongoing Ebola crisis to the recent Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines and recovery efforts in Haiti, this course will examine a variety of real world examples from organizations working in the field and analyze some of the key challenges related to access, implementation, scale, and verification that working with new technology presents. The course is designed to assist professionals in developing concrete strategies and technological skills to work amid this rapidly evolving landscape.
The course is designed to be highly interactive and social, but we also work hard to ensure that the majority of the content can be experienced in a self-paced manner. Participants have plenty of options to explore content that is most relevant to them through live content and interactions, readings, and videos. For a more detailed syllabus, please click here.
Course Topics and Featured Tech
- Social Media for Crisis Response
- Mapping the Crisis: New Techniques for Disaster Response and Preparedness
- Mobile Response: How Mobile Technology is Changing Disaster Response
- Looking Ahead: Where New Technologies are Taking Us
- Featured Technologies: Twitter, Facebook, Tomnod, OpenStreetMap, OSM Tasking Manager, Ushahidi, Kobol Toolbox, TextIt, Crisis Cleanup, FieldPapers, FrontlineSMS, and more!
Participants will be able to…
- Critically analyze both the opportunities and the pitfalls that emerge when working with technology to respond to crises
- Connect relevant development and humanitarian approaches to the technological strategies and tools discussed in the course
- Manage specific software platforms and utilize various technological tools for responding to and managing crisis
- Design dynamic and effective strategies for using technology platforms and tools to respond to challenges in the field
- Develop confidence and critical self-awareness in working with social media, maps, and mobile technologies