The mobile phone is rapidly bringing communication to the most remote areas of the world. NGOs, governments and companies alike are beginning to realize the potential of this ubiquitous tool to address a variety of global challenges. This four-week online professional development certificate course, which has been featured in the New York Times and Fast Company, will explore successful applications that facilitate economic transactions, transform agricultural processes, support public health campaigns and connect learners to educational content. It will also critically engage with issues of equity, privacy and access. Participants can expect a dynamic learning environment with a number of real-world case studies, custom animations and video tutorials, interactions with leading experts in the field and practical simulations to apply new skills and strategies. Want more information? Check out the syllabus here. Over 400 professionals from over 60 countries have taken it already: read a blog post review by a former participant here, and the success story of another alum who got a job after taking this course here.
Course Topics and Featured Tech
- Mobile Platforms and Strategies to Collect, Manage, and Analyze Data (Magpi, OpenDataKit, FrontlineSMS)
- Banking the Unbanked: the Promise of Mobile Money Systems and Looking Beyond M-PESA
- mAgri: The Potential for Mobile Phones to Transform Agriculture (mFarm, Nokia Life Services)
- mHealth: Mobile Tools for Diagnostics, Point of Care Support, Patient Adherence, and Other Public Health Purposes (D-Tree, Medic Mobile)
- New Approaches to Mobile Surveys & Polling (formhub, GeoPoll)
- Mobile Learning: Best Practices for Education on the Move
Participants will be able to…
- Critically analyze opportunities and challenges when working with mobile technology to address social problems in agriculture, public health, education and finance sectors
- Connect relevant development, humanitarian and peacebuilding theories to application of mobile technology strategies and tools
- Identify and apply appropriate tools and design effective strategies to incorporate mobile technology in global response to social challenges
The course is delivered entirely online and requires a minimum commitment of 5-7 hours per week. The coursework can be done in your own time but we will feature one or two real-time interactions each week, such as live discussions and live expert interviews online. These live events will also be recorded and archived for you to watch later.
Participants can also access all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.
- $395 if application and payment is submitted by January 23, 2014
- $445 if application and payment is submitted by start of course
- Group discount rates available. For more details, please contact us at info [at] techchange.org.
- If you are not happy with your course experience for any reason, TechChange is happy to offer you a full refund.